Trust for Credit Unions and ALM First provide new resources for credit unions
DALLAS, TX (October 15, 2018) — ALM First’s webinar series was created to keep financial depositories informed so they can make better balance sheet management decisions. The sessions are led by industry experts and focus on timely topics to assist both credit unions and banks in meeting today’s challenges while preparing for tomorrow. Registrants will have the opportunity to earn one hour of CPE Credit in these training webinars.
There is still time for interested institutions to register for the next webinar, Hedging Strategies in the Current Rate Environment, which will be held Tuesday, October 16th from 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. CST. The ALM First team will discuss various hedging strategies and how to assess hedging performance in relation to the balance sheet. Although short-term market rates may continue to rise, proper hedging strategies are agnostic to the rate environment and its movements. Appropriate hedging strategies paired with effective mortgage pipeline management can provide an opportunity to enhance return and profitability through risk reduction and cost savings.
Key learning objectives for tomorrow’s session include:
- Understand hedging methods
- Define hedging strategies
- Evaluate hedging performance
Continued Webinar Series
Other upcoming webinars this quarter include Investment Strategies in the Current Rate Environment (Tuesday, November 6th, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. CST) and Be prepared for CECL (Tuesday, December 4th, 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. CST).
The November event will review appropriate investment management strategies. While headlines can make it tough for investors to stay the course, prudent and disciplined portfolio managers should continue to monitor and manage their investment portfolio as he or she would in any rate environment. The current market environment has raised questions about the impact of a flattening yield curve and a possible inversion. Key learning objectives for the November session include:
- Understand current market environment and impact on relative value assessments
- Evaluate investment portfolio strategy options
- Develop appropriate strategies for your institution
In December, ALM First will discuss CECL planning and management. Required adoption and implementation of CECL regulatory requirements may seem distant, but its preparation already needs to be in progress. A robust and transparent model is a must, since precision in forecasts directly impacts the bottom line. Key learning objectives for the December session include:
- Data governance for CECL
- Right-sizing CECL implementation
- Leveraging CECL analytics
Informative Webinar Series
In addition to the training webinars, ALM First also hosts the following brief, informative webinar series:
- Bi-Weekly Market Update Webinar Series – This informational webinar offers valuable insights and helps interpret changing market conditions. Jason Haley, Managing Director of ALM First’s Investment Management Group covers topics such as economic and market conditions, sector performance and recommendations, macro factor risk analysis and other special topics. These brief webinars are scheduled at 10:30 a.m. CST every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month and will generally last for 15-20 minutes.
- Monthly ALM Strategy Update Webinar Series – This informational webinar offers valuable education and actionable insights on hot, timely topics. Topics covered include Asset-liability management (ALM), ALM modeling and assumptions, what-if analyses, industry and market trends, peer comparison and profitability analysis. These brief webinars are scheduled at 10:30 a.m. CST every 3rd Wednesday of the month and will generally last for 15-20 minutes.
- Mortgage Pipeline Hedging Webinar Series – This brief, quarterly webinar series will cover a range of topics including the pros and cons of mortgage pipeline hedging, profit attribution, strategic concepts and more. The last webinar for the year in this series is Thursday, October 25th, 10:30 – 11:00 a.m. CST.
- Pre-Fund and CDA Series – This quarterly webinar series discusses how credit unions can benefit from investing in non-703 compliant investment alternatives through portfolio management improvement, strategic planning and asset allocation. The last webinar for the year in this series is Thursday, November 15th, 10:30 – 11:00 a.m.
About ALM First
ALM First Financial Advisors is a strategic partner for depositories, offering an array of financial advisory services. Since 1995, its expertise in asset/liability management, fixed income portfolio management and hedging, has allowed it to deliver deeper insights into financial institutions’ balance sheets, strengthening their financial performance and building efficiencies. With more than $20 billion of investments under management, ALM First is an SEC-registered investment advisor, acting as an unbiased third party, offering commission-free, fee-based services to over 250 financial institutions across the country.